You send 100 used stamps
to a random member
and you receive 100 back!

Discussions
Categories | Subjects | Messages
Looking for Advice
21 Oct 2022, 15:17:07
Hi all,
just received a lot of 100 good quality mint stamps from a regular club member with an above average rating. How do I rate this? The club rules have been broken and I have no interest in mint stamps. Should that then be a rating of 0? Not a rating I have ever used, and I suspect the sender has never received such a rating.
Suggestions?
Cheers
Mark
28 Oct 2022, 01:30:04
@laurent - that's correct, I was awaiting advice from members on the question I asked before I registered the letter.
@everyone who commented here - thank you for your input. It was Jessica's first sending to me, and it was 100% mint stamps. However, most of you seem to think that this does not deserve a downgrading so I have given it a "5" rating. I am counting on your support if/when I pass on this lot and the recipient wants to give me a low rating because the lot is in contravention of the rules of this Club.
27 Oct 2022, 12:54:20
you didn't register Jessica's letter
27 Oct 2022, 11:54:59
@ laurent - I am sorry, I do not understand your comment.
26 Oct 2022, 23:04:21
@ snowmark
You do not save the letter, send you a message and do not follow up, I find it difficult to understand
23 Oct 2022, 15:23:36
Hello, colleagues!
Personally, I follow the rules very carefully (100 used postal stamps). But at the same time, I do not lower my rating if there are some mint stamps instead of used ones, but only if these are the postage stamps, but not the "beautiful pictures" which are not related to mail.
Now there are many stamps (usually quite beautiful and large) that are not related to the postal use. There are many stamps cut from the souvenir luxe-blocks not originally intended for the postal use. Sometimes these stamps come across in the slots. Someone likes them. But I collect only postage stamps. I don't like such "non-postage" stamps (after all, I stay here among the fans of the used postage stamps), but I try not to lower my ratings because of this.
Due to the fact that I pay special attention to the "postability" of the stamps, I sometimes surprised by the attitude of the other members of our club, who ask to send them "large beautiful pictures". But I fully admit that the philatelists can be different.
When I select a lot for exchange, I (unless there are special requirements) try to send used postage stamps, but not "big beautiful picture stamps". It's a little disappointing when anybody low the rating because of this. I admit that someone simply don't like my stamps, and the person may give me a 4 or 3 stars. But when the argument "Thanks for your nice selection too many small formats" is given, this leaves an "unpleasant aftertaste" from the exchange.
About Jessica-Mark exchange. If two people have many exchanges between themselves in this club, it is very difficult to select new stamps. That's why I don't have the multiple exchange option. I know that Jessica always tries to make the exchange enjoyable and I would not downgrade her in any case.
Happy stamping to all memebers!
Sincerely,
Natalia
23 Oct 2022, 14:55:11
I rather have used stamps but a mint one will not bother me, it will even make me happy if I get to cover a hole in my collection.
23 Oct 2022, 10:32:18
hello, receiving new stamps from this period does not really interest me in general for europe these are stamps that we have, or find easily, while we have been collecting for more than 40 years,

When we see what we receive from some with multiple accounts at times

Jessica does her best and she always puts a nice stamp on the envelope, for that she deserves a 5

22 Oct 2022, 14:27:17
I confess, that I am not a big fan of (especially european) mint stamps, because I have (mint) subscriptions to most of the european countries. But I accept them as well as stamps on paper, definitives, self-adhesives and would not give a negative rating. I also received mint ones from different members and always gave an advice : Take care what you send and to whom!
The bigger problem for me is receiving damaged stamps! Therefore I started to be rigorous in my ratings!
I am collecting stamps and not paper chips!
22 Oct 2022, 14:02:35
Unless a disaster, I would never give 1 or 2 star.

Mint stamps means that somebody did an effort, so 5 star

Anyway, I agree Gerben. Giving 3 or 4 is a hidden unfriendly message.

But, this is a friendly club. The ones I dont like, to be blocked.
The ones not liking me, please block.

I I prefer not loosing time.

So 5 star in general. Friendly message.
22 Oct 2022, 10:51:08
I received a similar lot from Jessica https://100stamps.club/stamps/DE-3068 let me explain what I did.

I gave her feedback like "I recognize that you tried to send good stamps but you totally missed the point with the German mints"
And I gave her a 5*
Why? I know that everytime that I received stamps from her it was a great lot, I'm sure next time will be too without German mints. Didn't want to blame her for one mistake.

Now you exchanged arguments together and you know from eachother what to expect my advise is:

If you want to trade again give a 5
If you don't, give a 3
Based on her repertoire in this club a 0, 1 or 2 is not an option.
21 Oct 2022, 16:45:40
Hi Jessica,
just a couple of points:
. I did not intend to exclude you from this discussion. We have exchanged our messages, and now I am looking for the opinion of some other members.
. I did not feel it was important to include your arguments as to why you sent me mint stamps only - it's a fact that you did, and I am seeking the views of others as to what to make of that when it comes to giving a rating in a used stamps exchange club.
. I have not rated you 0. I have not rated you yet.
. I don't think there is much difference between sending common used stamps and common mint stamps (all from the 1970s).
. I think I have read in another discussion topic that mint stamps should only be sent if the receiver says in their profile that this is ok, or by prior arrangement.
Anyone else have views on this>
21 Oct 2022, 16:08:34
Hi Mark,
Since I was that sender, I think I should be in this discussion too. Besides, we already have had a lengthy discussion on this. None of my arguments why I send you a lot of mint stamps are in your post. So here we go. And by the way, yes, I have been rated negatively more than once. Never actually for a bad lot of stamps. It was for sending the latest Japanese stamps. Which happen to be small stamps and the recipient only wanted large stamps. It also happened for sending self-adhesive stamps. Apparently, these should not be sent either. It also happened for sending a lot with stamps from many different countries. As we all know, you should only include a single country in your lot ... None of this makes sense, or does it?
As I explained to you, for a long time now, most of us have had a really hard time sending out good quality not too common stamps (you too are not able to send out 100 used not too common stamps either). These stamps are rare as hen's teeth. Last week, I had a conversation with a stamp dealer in his shop in Zürich. He hardly had any kiloware. Instead, he is swamped with mint stamps as collectors from a certain age are dying off. Guess what is in the kiloware he sells? Bingo! Mint stamps. As there now is in kiloware from all the good dealers. That is how I ended up sending out mint stamps to some members of the club. It was a hard choice. Do I send 100+ very common used stamps only good to beginning collectors or do I send mint stamps? Clearly, in your case, I made the wrong choice. However, we had many exchanges in the past. So rating me 0 for a single mistake is, in my humble opinion, a bit harsh.
But I have learned from this mistake. And from a couple of other curious ratings in the very recent past. I had several revenge ratings for good lots. Odd rating criteria. Such as: couldn't use a single stamp for my collection so going to rate you 3. huh? How does that work? I have therefore decided to stop being a very active member in this club. Collecting stamps is my hobby and it should bring me pleasure. This club has changed into a place where some people have very high expectations and many dump their very common unwanted stamps. Only a few are interested in keeping this club healthy. No longer my idea of fun.
Kind regards, Jessica
unescopostcards.club
UNESCO Postcards